Did you know that Cactus is an ultra sustainable crop?!
🌵 no demand on fresh water
🌵 regenerates itself
🌵 naturally sequesters carbon
Cactus grows in the dry heat and quenches any thirst it has naturally with rain water ☀️🌧
For production, only the mature leaves of the cactus are cut without damaging the plant itself. As it regenerates itself, it enables repeat harvests every 6-8 months from the same plant! Once cut, the mature leaves are dried under the sun for 3 days, so there’s no additional energy used in the drying process.
Using cactus as material is a much healthier option for the planet 🌍 in comparison to animal leather which requires 17,100L of water per kg of leather in addition to the chromium and sulphide concentrations and the pesticides which are often added to keep mould growth down during transportation 😷
Cattle ranching is the largest driver of Amazon deforestation… 450,000 sq.km. of Brazil rainforest is now pasture. Beyond this, a devastating 70% of an untreated hide is eventually discarded as a solid waste - the hair, fat, meat, sinew, all goes straight into a landfill. Wastewater pollution is primarily a by-product of the initial preparation stage, wherein bits of flesh, hair, mould, excrement and other animal by-products are mixed into wash water and discarded. No thank you!!
- Cactus is a natural carbon sink, it has a great CO2 sequestering capacity
- From 14 acres, the Desserto cactus ranch is able to absorb 8,100 tons of CO2/year (the farm we only generate 15.30 tons of CO2 annually)
- Only the mature leaves of the plant are cut without damaging the plant itself, enabling repeat harvest every 6-8 months from the same plant
- Cactus naturally regenerates soil
- Cactus is a tough and resilient species, adaptable to extreme conditions and able to survive in areas where nothing else will grow
Choose love. Choose compassion. Choose Cactus 🌵🤍